Date: 17th May 2015 at 12:24pm
Written by:

Tickets were selling for up to two grand at Anfield on Saturday for Steven Gerrard’s final Premier League game for Liverpool on home soil with this a party Palace wanted to spoil and we did just that.

We came from behind to end up three-one winners to win at Anfield for the first time in 25-years, you almost sensed that we would do this, I’m not sure if I should feel a little guilty that we did this!

The game started with Gerrard given a reception from all sides of Anfield and a guard of honour from both sides with us starting the game the better of the sides but it was Liverpool that took the lead when Kelly’s poor pass, against his former side, saw Lallana (26) get in to beat Hennessey who was given his chance in goal by Pardew.

Falling behind didn’t impact us too much as we kept going and got the equaliser that we deserved when Can brought down Bolasie to give us a freekick, taken by Puncheon (43) who fired past Mignolet from 20-yards just before the break.

Not content with a point, which was right, we continued to attack for a win with Zaha brought on and it took just 23-seocnds for Zaha (60) to make an impact with his first touch from a Bolasie cross putting us two-one up on the hour.

Bolasie, who caused the Liverpool defence throughout, would have made it three had his effort struck he bar but still there was a chance for the game to be wrapped up in injury-time when Lucas brought down Zaha, perhaps outside the area, with a penalty given.

Murray stepped up but Liverpool ‘keeper Mignolet saved his penalty but Murray (90+1) wasn’t going to be denied as he followed up to convert the rebound and secure a three-one win with Gerrard bowing out with defeat.

Only our second win in the league at Anfield and Pardew has been involved in both, he was a player when we won for the first time back in 1991 and was our manager on Saturday – all being well it isn’t going to be another 25-years until our next, with or without Pardew!


Your Comment